LISTEN TO THE PODCAST
We're talking about Caramel Pie. Think about it for a second, caramel (up until now) has been a delicious ice cream topper or candy filling. In other words, it's never been on center stage. But that ends now. Miriam Pascal, who wrote the new cookbook Something Sweet stopped by Tonia's Kitchen with her delicious idea for Caramel Pie. It's hot, it's gooey and it's extraordinary. Now before we get ahead of ourselves, let's say up front that this is not the traditional caramel, but a lighter, cake batter type of it cooked into a graham cracker crust. Now ice cream gets to play second fiddle here, because Miriam says that's what makes the best topping for this!
Reprinted From Overtimecook.com
- 1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese or Tofutti cream cheese
- 1½ cups brown sugar
- ¼ cup corn syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 cup Caramel Chips
- 2 graham cracker pie crusts
- Vanilla Ice Cream, for serving, optional
- Caramel sauce (optional)
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, over a medium speed, cream together margarine and Tofutti cream cheese until smooth. Add brown sugar and corn syrup, and beat until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, baking soda, and vanilla, beating to combine after each addition.
- Turn the mixer to low, and add flour. Beat until combined. Stir in the caramel chips.
- Divide batter between the two pie crusts. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the center is just set (it will still be wiggly).
- Serve hot with ice cream and caramel sauce (optional).
- Note: This freezes nicely!
- Yield: 2 pies, each serves 8