Friday, October 20, 2017
It's Friday, Party with Cake
And with the end of the week, celebrate with a special cake...Chocolate Amaretto Cake! Hungry yet? Amanda Cushman, who wrote the cookbook Simple Real Food, told Tonia's Kitchen that there's two ways to describe this cake, chocolate and almonds. She told Tonia it's a dense cake that uses egg whites to help it rise, but the combination of the nuts and cocoa give it a special flavor that just screams: DESSERT!
Serves 8 to 10
4 ounces semi sweet chocolate
8 Tb. unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
5 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup flour
1 Tb. Almond, orange, coffee liqueur or vanilla
confectioner’s sugar, garnish
1. Heat the oven to 350. Butter a 9 inch spring form pan.
2. Grind the amaretti cookies and chocolate in a blender or processor until it is a fine powder. Set aside.
3. Cream the butter and sugar together in an electric mixer, add the yolks one at a time. Beat for 4 minutes.
4. Gradually add the flour and the chocolate mixture, beating after each addition. Add the liqueur and mix.
5. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Lighten the amaretti mixture with about a third of the egg whites. Fold in the remaining whites. Spoon into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes.6. Allow the cake to cool and remove sides. Sprinkle with confectioner’s sugar through a sieve. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired